Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Unique-o is not a Spanish word

Thank the gods, the REAL Amazing Race is back! I know, two blog posts in a row about TAR, but y'all don't understand how much I love this show. The real show, the show where you have to search for things yourself, figure out how to get through cultural and language barriers, work together, see news things, travel, experience stuff you never would have in your whole life before the Race. LOVE.IT.

Last season TAR did the family edition show. It blew. They watered everything down to defer to the children and it just flat our ruined the show. They never went out of the country, lived in trailers, DROVE everywhere, there was no exotic adventure and split-second decisions that make the show so great. The beauty of the show is watching people become those "ugly americans" you love to hate, seeing who can switch from French,to Spanish, to Farsi, to Japanese. They had NONE of that last season!

My beloved TAR is back as it should be.

My comments on this season's racers: (if you don't care don't read farther)

Lake & Michelle: First off, Lake is a total type-A tool. He bosses his wife around, refers to Ray and Yoland as "the blacks", and is basically an asshat. He's like a lesser-Jonathan and a worse Will. We'll see how that relationship pans out. His wife is not a "typical southern belle", she's meek and puts up with his berating demeanor.

Danielle & Dani: Where do I start? The "double D's" are the antithesis of everything I hold dear. They dress skimpy, giggle, and expect the men to help them through the race. Hello dead weight. They serve no other purpose on the race other than eye candy. (and they seem fine with that)

BJ & Tyler:The self-proclaimed "hippies". They don't bug me. I did like the "Is this the most James Bond thing you've ever done, or what?" comment.


Ray & Yolanda:
This couple has class. I really like them. Yolanda did better than I would have with twenty Sao Paulo men drooling on here while shes trying to put together a motorcycle.

John & Scott:Aka The Ambiguously Gay Duo. I wasn't huge on these two. They didn't converse much, bickered when they did, and I just fundamentally didn't get their relationship. Were they friends were they more than friends. Probably none of my business... just wasn't into them. not super sad they're gone.


David & Lori
The self-proclaimed "Nerds". I still haven't seen exactly what makes them nerdy other than they wear glasses. But still, they're a breath of fresh air and obviously in love.


David & Jeremy:
Have no life skills and are happy and content to be beach bums their entire lives. Just the kind of guys you want to take home to mom, eh? TWOP keeps referring to them as "frat guys" but, they don't even have frat guys ambition. They dropped out of school and are content to live with just enough to pay the rent every month. Grow up, guys! They also bugged me with the "what did we win, Phil? " line. Coming in first does not guarantee you anything.


Fran & Barry
I could like these two. They didn't impress me this week, however, walking past the clue box four times. (on camera no less) Fran is way too whiny and the constant mentioning of they being eliminated started to get on my nerves.

Lisa & Joni Need.to.stop.screetching!! Dear God it was dreadful! I also dont' need to know about their bladder issues! And in the opening credits they were Bedazzling! Who does that? I also couldn't believe that two HOUSTONIANS were complaining about traffic !! One of them lives in Katy for god sakes has she never looked out her window at I10 ?

Joseph & Monica They gave themselves their own "moJO" nickname. I'm still meh on them at this time. They needed more air time for me to formulate anything

Wanda & Desiree Hands down my favorite team. Get along great, fun to watch, polite, well-spoken. Desiree is gorgeous and has a great relationship with her mom. Their too cute and I'd love to see them win.



Notes on the race


It's Sao Paulo NOT San Paulo !!

Unique-o is not a Spanish word... to all racers past and present: Putting an "O" on the end does not make it Spanish.

They speak PORTUGESE in Brazil, not Spanish. Granted, they're very similar, but very different languages.

Yelling to someone not to let the "black girl" pass you... has zero class and makes you look like an asshat.

Phil looks magically delicious this season and I was happy to see the return of "the amazing eyebrow".

And thank GOD for the lack of "bunching" this season. Let them get spread out.. it's a RACE !

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll have to start watching since it looks like your posts are going to be geared to TAR :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger CWH said...

Only on Wednesdays after the show on Tuesday night. It's a great show, you'll love it. (they almost always go to India too!)

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Looks like I need to start watching this show. All I ever hear from people is how awesome it is.

Great summary, BTW. :)

How's life? Drop me a line sometime.....

-Pete

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home