Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Bittersweet Goodbye

I am no longer CPW. I am now, officially and legally CWH.

I spent the day getting all the errands done to get my name legally changed. I finally got my marriage certificate in the mail Saturday. So, the process begins. And, a process it is. I'm sure no matter how thorough I think I am I'll miss something.

The DMV came first. I had to stand in line twenty minutes TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to come back later today. I had planned on making an appointment last night online, but G told me when he went he was in and out in twenty minutes. WRONG! I went in at 10 and came out at 1025 with an appointment to come back at 230. But, at least it was a start.

Next came the social security office. This turned out to be the second easiest thing I did. I'll get to the first in a moment. All I had to do was turn in my old card and show them my marriage certificate. Done. New card in the mail.

Then the bank to change my accounts. Done

At home I called the credit card companies. THIS was the easiest thing ever! Okay... it's changed. No confirmation. No mailing in of certificate... strictly word of mouth. I asked the woman on the phone why it was so easy. I mean, I could just call up anybody with a card with my first name and change it to my last name. She said "well, you have to have your drivers license match your credit cards so you can use them, right?". Um... no. The only people that EVER check my ID with a card are the people at Starbucks when I don't have enough cash and pull out my check card. I couldn't tell you the last time I got carded on my credit card. It was kinda unnerving how easy it was to change my credit statements with no proof what so ever that I was who I said I was. (well, other than my "security question" which anyone who knows me could figure out)*sigh* End rant.

So, after thirty years my name is different. It's going to take me a long time to get used to. It's bittersweet. I really liked my name. But, now I have a new one to start a new life with. With G.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go cruise around cockeyed.com and find his story of credit card easy fakery. he got one of those new card offers in the mail, tore it up in little pieces, taped it back together, wrote in a different address in pen on the app, and sent it in. yes, the credit card company did in fact open him up an account anyway.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and btw, you're going to have to change your blogger name from CW!!

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home