Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I love scuba diving..... it rocks my socks.

While still adjusting to Hawaii time, G and I woke up at an ungodly hour to head to the east side of Oahu. We had to meet the dive boat at 730am... and it's a 1.5 hour drive to Hawaii Kai from Ko'Olina. We found out the hard way that taking the HOV lane on H1 DOESN'T go all the way to the other side of Honolulu. We lost a good 20 minutes trying to get back to the "real" H1. Things on Oahu are NOT super well labeled. You'd think they would be with as many tourist as they get.

Anyway, back to diving. We to the boat ramp and we're the only ones there. One of the assistant divemasters shows up about 745. (gee, good thing we rushed over there) So, we head to the McD's next door for egg McMuffins. By 815 we'd met our head divemaster, Max, and loaded the gear onto the boat. The weather was BEAUTIFUL. There was a nice breeze, it was sunny, about 80 degrees and the water was crystal clear and FLAT! Flat water is good when you're trying to organize a group on the surface before you drop in.

There are only SIX of us on the boat (including the two divemasters). One of the other gentlemen is here from Austrailia so he looked at my dive gauges to try to figure out the coversion from PSI to barr (since his dive gauges are all metric). Our first dive for the day was called Baby Barge. The barge was sunk off Hawaii Kai as artificial reef. So, we drop in and hanging out on the barge are three HUGE Green Sea Turtles. They were enormous. Then, we go from the barge over to a series of ledges and some more reef. Under a ledge is an area called shark cove. And, now we know why. We glance under and we see a 5-6ft white tip reef shark. He was very cool ! Unfortunately, I couldn't take our underwater cameras since they only go to 50ft and our dives were all around 65ft. The conditions were perfect though.

During our surface interval I had a raging headache and decided doing the second dive probaly wasn't a good idea for me. After the headache made me horribly nauseased I realized the culprit was most likely my egg mcmuffin. My body rebeled horribly.

So, G did the second dive and I enjoyed the sun top-side and watched a pod of dolphins playing on the surface. (lots of backflips!) G told me the current was super strong for the second dive. But, he did see some even bigger turtles and a few morays.

We make it back to the shore and none of us wanted to get off the boat. The conditions were too good. We were having too much fun!! My headache was gone and i was ready to go back out there. But, alas, all things have to end.. and we had a luau to get to. But, we thoroughly enjoyed a day of diving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home