Wednesday, May 10, 2006

First Professional Tennis Lesson

All my errands were done early Monday morning and I decided to explore the HCC campus. I'd heard there was a really nice public tennis complex there. Turns out it's beautiful. 16 courts (some clay) and two practice walls to hit against. After lunch, I decided to head back to hit against the wall.

As it turns out it costs nothing to go in and hit against the wall. which is good. I don't think I should have to pay to play tennis. (with as many public courts as we have in Tampa) After I was out there about half an hour one of the coaches came out to chat with me. probably had mostly to do with the fact that I was the only one in the complex at the time. Later I realized I hope there was no camera system there because I suck big time. He was probably have a good laugh in the control room if such a thing existed.

The coach invited me over to join one of the classes that was about to start. It's only 12 dollars an hour, he told me. Compared to private lessons at 40 dollars an hour it was a bargain! So, I pack up my ball bag and head over to the courts for my lesson.

Rounding the corner: They're all KIDS! LITLLE kids! Oh lord. I'm gonna get shown up by 8 year olds. There were two older girls there (and by older I mean high school). All of these kids were competitive in their respective age groups. *sigh* And then there's me. Taught by G and never had a real professional lesson.

They put me through warm ups... good to know at least I run faster than the 8 year olds. Then they put me on a court by myself with a coach. His name is Chad and he's really fun. Chad and I were listening to Queen and Guns n Roses while all the kids had some hip hop stuff playing. I'm so unhip I dont' even know who it was. I learned all the main tennis strokes, and even learned a proper serve. It was BRUTALLY hot that day and we had to stop and take quite a few water breaks. Chad kept everything light and fun and I stayed relaxed enough so that I was actually doing a decent job. he told me I learned really fast. Whether that's true, or whether that's something coaches just say I've yet to figure out. But, I was having fun! THREE HOURS later my lesson was over. I ended up getting a three hour private lesson for only 36 dollars. Bargain basement, my friends. I'm definitely going to try to come back next week.

I'm no Maria Sharapova, but as long as I can keep from embarassing myself on the courts I'll be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home