Monday, May 01, 2006

Doggie downers ?

Today was an eventful day. The morning brought that joy of joys.. the visit to the girly doctor. It's always an event women look forward to. heh.

After hanging out at home a few hours, I made an appointment to take Tiger to the vet next Monday for his annual exam and shots. He's due for Bordatella and DHLPP. Not TWO minutes after I hang up the phone with the vet... Tiger starts having a seizure. Not the end of the world, he does have epilepsy, but still scary every time. I was concerned though, since this is his second seizure in two weeks. I called the vet back and said, "You're never going to believe this". The girl even recognized my voice since she had just talked to me.

Needless to say, fifteen minutes later I was at the vet. She had told me if he ever starts having seizures more frequently than every 2 months, we need to talk about putting him on medication. So here I was, on my day off, sitting at the vet with Tiger. Fortunately, I love my new vet. She's super nice and always happy to see us. Tiger got lots of treats at the front desk (he's the king of sucking up) and lots of love in the exam room. After discussing we decided it was time for Phenobarbital. He gets dosages twice a day (every 12 hours , or as close as I can get). It work by depressing his neurons to keep him from seizing. It doesn't mean he won't ever have a seizure again, but hopefully it means he won't have them as frequently. She said he might be lethargic for the first two weeks as his body gets used to the new medication. (One can only hope!) ;) I got back in two weeks to get his blood levels checked to make sure he stays in the therapeutic range of the medication. I also have to go back routinely now to make sure the drugs dont cause liver damage. Oh, the joys of dog ownership. But, he's so worth it !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home