Monday, May 08, 2006

Tiger update

Tiger has now been on phenobarbital for a week. The side effects of the medication seemed to really hit him Saturday. G and I noticed he was having a hard time with his back legs. He got really slow walking up the stairs. (which, if you know my dog at all is NOT normal) The listed side effects for Pb said the dog can get lethargy and ataxia, especially of the hind legs. It's supposed to only last the first few weeks til he gets to a stable serum level.

Sunday, he tripped chasing after his toys when his back leg gave out under him.

Today he's been sleeping most of the day. Again, NOT normal for my dog at ALL. I just took him out for his nightly walkie... and he hesitated before going down the stairs. The took the stairs methodically, stopping to look up at me every few steps like, "do I have to mom?". It almost made me cry. How do you explain to a dog that you're giving him medicine in his dinner and breakfast to make him better?? Yet, it's going to make him uncoordinated and lethargic for at least a week or two first. It's so hard for me to watch. I don't want to admit my dog is sick. But, if I have to go through this to make him better... I'll do it. This better not be permanent. I was my toy chasing, up-the-stairs-racing, fuzzy running buddy back ! now !

Please tell me the side effects go away! Please! We go back for his first serum level measurement next Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger M H said...

I hope the medicine works. Dogs totally are worth it. I wish my vet had been that smart. They didn't give us any meds for Pepper, just said this happens when they are 15. :(


My thoughts are with you tiger!!! Oh and I think I'm going to to have to join dogster ...

4:28 PM  
Blogger CWH said...

well, Tiger's had idiopathic epilepsy since he was 2. (he's now seven) usually if dogs start seizuring later in life it's caused by something else.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home