Monday, April 10, 2006

Mas pina coladas, por favor



After three and a half days in Mexico, I didn't want to come back. I easily could have stayed at the resort for weeks.

I met up with G Thursday in Houston before our flight to Cancun. I also ran into terminal E to pick up my friend Erin from her flight in from San Antonio. (She had arranged to fly into Cancun on our flight so we could travel together) Playa del Carmen is a 45 minute van ride from Cancun. There was only one other couple in our van so it was a nice leisurely ride down there. Although, it was quite a bit of flying for me... two hours to Houston and then two more hours from Houston to Cancun.

The hotel/resort was BEAUTIFUL! My only complaint the entire time was that our bed was a brick. Instead of a large king bed they pushed two double beds together. (Complete with two comforters and a giant crack in the middle) How romantic. But, the resort was spotlessly clean, the staff was uber-friendly, and all inclusive. So, all I had to do for three days was lie on the beach and ask the waiter to bring me more drinks. HEAVEN!

Daniel and Ashley got married Saturday afternoon. It was brutally hot, but a lovely ceremony. It was the first time I think more people were thrilled to see the groom walk down the aisle. Daniel was hit by a car two days after Christmas. He broke his pelvis and was only supposed to be walking with a walker at this point. Not only is he now walking without a walker, he went parasailing, climbed the stairs, etc. Not to say he wasn't in pain, but I'm sure being in Mexico with Ashley for the wedding made it worth it. We had time to head back out to the pool after the wedding and before dinner. It was amazing how many showers I had to take a day between the beach sand, sunscreen, and the opressive heat. But, I didnt mind in the least.



Dinner at the resorts was by reservation. (if you didn't want to eat in the large cafeteria) The first night Erin and I tried to get reservations for the gourment restaurant but they were booked until 930 and we didnt' want to eat that late. So, we ended up at a Brazilian steak house. Not quite Fogo de Chao (cuz not much is) but good. The grilled pineapple was FABULOUS! I also had my fill of plantains. mmm



Saturday night we had a lovely dinner on the beach with the wedding party. Salmon for me, prime rib for G. Also very yummy. Their salad bars were killer too!

sunday everyone was packing up. The wind and surf finally died down enough for them to take down the red flags. So, we attempted to go windsurfing. (which was part of the all-inclusive package) But, the guide didn't seem real keen on taking us out so we decided to save that adventure for hawaii. I don't want to have a lesson with someone who's not jazzed about teaching me. So, G and I trotted off to play tennis instead. Between saturday and sunday I played two hours of tennis. My forehand is getting much much better. I've redeemed my dismal performance the last Sunday we went to play in Tampa off Henderson.

Sunday early afternoon we said goodbye to Ash and Dan (who had just gotten back from parasailing) and headed back home. G back to Houston for another week of work and myself to Tampa. I also had a fuzzy doggie waiting for me who was very happy to see mom when she strolled in at 1230am.

It was a beautiful , fun, and relaxing weekend. To anyone looking into a trip to mexico I would HIGHLY recommend Playa del Carmen and the Riu Palace Mexico. Playa is much more laid back than the party town of Cancun. (which I needed desperately)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home