Saturday, March 04, 2006

My time is worth something!

I had a patient come in that I just have to blog about.

He/she had a party to go to that afternoon in his/her honor. S/he had self-medicated with over the counter stye medication a few days prior and had an allergic reaction to it. After visiting a dermatologist, they were given a topical steroid cream to help calm the inflammation and redness.

The patient came in to see me to see if there was anything to help it go faster than the cream the MD gave him/her. I spend 20+ minutes explaining to the patient the root of the problem. The washes they could to to prevent it from recurring, the continued use of the cream the MD gave the patient, and the hot/cold compresses the patient could do to relief the swelling and open the glands. TWENTY minutes of my time.

The patient then goes to the front desk for the front to collect payment for my consultation.

Patient's friend walks over. "what did the doctor say".

Patient turns to friend. "nothing".

WHAT?! i just spent twenty minutes with you !! I said LOTS of things. I'm sorry there's no magic pill to make you look better before your party. But, I DID tell you lots of things you could do to help resolve your problem AND prevent it from coming back. You said yourself the MD didn't even SEE you and called something in over the phone. But, since the MD gave you DRUGS he did "something".

*sigh* I was ready to blugeon the patient. My front desk tech didn't see what the big deal was. People really don't get that my time has value unless I give them a prescription for something (be it glasses, contacts, or drugs). heaven forbid I give them useful suggestions that dont' COST ANYTHING!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Sounds like a "she" to me. ;)

It isn't that you said "nothing", it is that you didn't say what she wanted to HEAR.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home