Sunday, March 19, 2006

Got a condo made o' stone-a ! King Tut!


The King Tut exhibit has been at the museum of art in Ft Lauderdale since November and I've been dying to go. G knew I was a buff for all things Egyptian, so he got us tickets for the exhibit! yay !

We got up early Sunday morning for the nearly 4 hour dive to Ft Lauderdale. It was actually fun, I hadn't been out of Tampa in a long time. I forget how pretty Florida is until I drive around it and see the water, sailboats, beautiful homes, etc. It was also amazing to to drive through the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area which was hit HARD by Hurricane Charlie in the fall of 2004. I drove through the area two months after the hurricane and was amazed at the devestation: twisted light poles on the freeway, billboards shattered, giant trees snapped in half like match sticks, MILES of FEMA trailers, etc. I was telling G about it on the way there, we get to the area, all the damage that remains are the snapped trees. The trailers are gone (mostly), the billboards and signs are repaired and the entire area is EXPLODING with growth. It was impressive.

G and I took about two hours to get through the King Tut exhibit. The artifacts were incredible! The level of detail and crafsmanship is amazing. Tons of gold, wood work, jewels and precious stones. Absolutely gorgeous and mesmerizing when you think it was all done more than 3000 years ago! I would love some day to go to Egypt and tour the Valley of Kings, Thebes, Cairo, the Nile. I was so jealous when they went there during the Amazing Race. so jealous. It's a dream trip for me. The only disappointing part is that the gilded sarcophacus was no present. Apparently, the Egyptian cousel woudln't let it out of the country. It's the highlight of the museum in Cairo. The only time it's been to the US was the last Tut tour 20 years ago.

I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the more impressive artifacts. They wouldn't let me bring in a camera. I was just happy I got to see this exhibit. It's only hitting four cities in the US before it leaves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen D. Sullivan said...

I've been waiting to see this exhibit again and it's coming to the Field Museum in Chicago in May. Sarah and I both want to see this show, and luckily, we know of a great hotel right near there (where we had our first date) so we may make a weekend of it in Chicago around my birthday perhaps.....

Steven

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home