Saturday, March 18, 2006

5K

I got up early this morning with G to run in a 5K we signed up for early in the month. G blasted on ahead of me, but after mile 2 I saw him up ahead.. so I was gaining on him! Something must be wrong, I never catch up to G at these things!

I ended up running the same pace as the girl who started behind us at the start line. So, we introduced ourselves and decided to push each other to finish the race under 30 minutes. (usually my 5K goal is to come in under 30)

At mile 1.2 I saw the lead runner coming back the other direction. He was hauling balls! He was a good 30 seconds ahead of the guy in second place. They were followed by the Jesuit High School cross country team. (those guys were running pretty good too for high school kids!)

I taught my new friend how to thank the cops at the cross streets. No one here does that !! Training in Texas EVERYONE says thank you to the cops who are blocking traffic for you. It's just what we do. So, I got her doing it, too! She thought it was a great idea.. and since the cops weren't used to it they thought we were the nicest girls ever. (They cheered extra loud for us on the loop back when we passed them the second time).

After mile 3 she tried to stop, not realizing we still had another 1/10 mile to the actual finish line. But, we cross at 29:28. (just one minute short of my fastest time ever of 28:27 at Race for the Cure in 1998) I'm not fast, but I get there :)

Now I'm at work and actually pretty busy. This is the first time I've sat down all morning. Back to work though! I just heard my door close

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

Haha, I'm the same way - I'm not fast bu I get there too. Glad to know I'm not alone. ;-)

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woo hoo!!

Way to go, Christine. :) I've been the rabbit in past days...the one who goes real fast for like, 5k. But it's the turtles who motor for 26 miles that amaze me. :)

- Pete

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home