Monday, August 22, 2005

Diving in Jupiter

To start off the post.. No, I STILL don't have my scores. That's all I have to say about that. I'm SO sick of waiting. They're killing me slowly and loving every minute of it.

Saturday night after a long day of lounging around the house being complete slugs, G and I packed up to head to the east coast of Florida. We were invited to go diving with my cousin Allison and her mom and dad. (obvsiouly my aunt and uncle) With doggie in town we braved the three hour drive to Port St. Lucie. I was a little concerned my doggie wouldn't get along with my cousin's doggies, but they got along great! Tiger had a great day while we were diving playing in my cousin's back yard with her two dogs. It was his first day as an "outside" doggie.He also took SEVERAL flying leaps into Alli's pool. (he must have missed my parent's pool more than I thought) He slept the whole way home on Sunday... ahhh heaven! (hey, jessica can tell her baby stories.. I tell mine) Heh.

The diving was GREAT! I was a little nervous since it's was my first dive since certification and also my first open water ocean free-dive. Most of our training dives had been with a dive line, in freezing cold water, with huge wet suits, and limited visability. These two dives were CAKE compared to my training dives. G was the best dive buddy. He never left my side and kept me calm.

The very first dive was on a reef off the coast of Jupiter with a max ledge of 82 ft. I think I only dropped that low once and G caught it and yanked me back up. (when the visbility is as clear as it was down there, you really don't realize how far down you are unless you're staring at your gage). The first reef really didn't have much on it. There were fish and they were pretty... about half the boat saw a huge sea turtle (which I missed). The reason we were behind everyone else is that dropping in for my first day I discovered I was not wearing enough weight to get down. Small problem since you kinda need to be UNDER the water to dive. So, we had to flag the dive boat down to add weight to my BCD. Then, I got down, but we were a good 6 minutes behind all the other divers.

The second dive was in shallower reef at 65 feet. We dropped right onto the reef and I had no problems getting down this time. We dove close to my cousin and her roomie so we were a little foursome. Many of the other divers were diving for lobster, but we weren't. The fish and reef were so much prettier on the second reef. I really wish I could have gotten pictures. Disposable dive camera don't work lower than 50 feet. BUMMER! I did get a few pics on the boat which i'll share. It's really hard to describe reef diving. it's very tranquil and it's nice not having noise, talking, cell phones, music, anything. Just peace. You, fish, water, and your significant other. The water was so clear and warm it was like a bath tub with pretty fishies in it. I'll DEFINITELY be going back. I definitely want to go somewhere tropical with bigger badder better reef now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds beautiful! Someone needs to get you an underwater camera :)

I've literally just moved into my Garland apartment, I'm taking a break from the outdoors and discovered free/stolen wireless signals :)

talk to you soon!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hello, Okinawa? It is supposed to have some of the best diving in the world (so they say). The down side is that getting here costs an arm and a leg and there isn't much else (except me of course). I think you should set your sites on Australia! I thought G wasn't going to be able to dive? Did his trip get moved?

I still check your site first thing each morning to see if those darn scores are in...

5:44 PM  
Blogger CWH said...

I talked to the dive master and with the two dives we were doing G had only a 12 hour window. So, he was fine to fly. :) yay! And no, still no scores. Thanks for thinking of me !!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home