Monday, August 01, 2005

Clinical Practical

Well, it's over. That's about all I can say about it. If you could have harnessed the stress in the hallways of that building you could have powered the state of Florida for a year.

When I checked in they put me in my group of 6. I was given a name badge with my candidate ID and passport photo (no name). They took my mom (my patient) into another room. One of the girls in the group was 7.5 months pregnant and she was so nervous her baby was doing backflips. I felt so bad for her. But, she seemed okay. Our whole group was protective of her by the end of the exam.

My first station (out of two) was pupils, fields, ret, refraction and BIO. I thought I did great on everything but BIO. They made me do BIO reclined (completely) which I NEVER do and haven't for about three years. I practiced it the day before the exam on my mother and did fine. But, they didn't let me do this station on my mother. So, I had someone elses patient. She did just fine, but my views were not good. I spent so long trying to make sure they were perfect I didnt get to 1/3 of the views they wanted to see. Since there were two examiners I had to do everything twice.

I came out of there in a sheet of cold sweat since I knew the last part with BIO didn't go well. I went into station two knowing I pretty much had to ace it to pass this exam. (the cut off for passing is 80, not 75 like the nationals) One of the girls in my group gave me a hug and helped me calm down. I had to focus on what I had ahead of me and leave what happened in station one behind.

Station two went great, I thought. I few minor things, but no major point deductions that I could see.

If I pass it's going to be VERY close. For right now, I'm kinda assuming I failed. (BIO was 18 points and I could only lose 20) They would have had to have been REALLY generous and not nit-picky on every other station for me to pass.

One of the docs I know was an examiner and was going to try to find out whether I passed or not for me. I never heard from him.. which means either he didn't find out.. or I failed and he couldn't bring it to call me.

The worst part is now I have to wait three weeks for my score and I have three jobs riding on my results. I dread calling them to tell them they'll have to find someone else.. cuz I'm a giant loser who can't do BIO.

I felt really bad when I got home and Greg had made me a HUGE "congratulations" banner and put it across the condo and bought me an ice cream cake. I didn't feel like celebrating. I spent most of the 4 hour ride back in silence. My parents didn't even know what to say. mom said the examiners told her I was really personable.. although, unfortunately they don't give points for that. :(

now I just play the waiting game. If I get an 80 I will be the happiest person in Florida.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home