Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where did all the polite people go ??

I've noticed over the last year of working.. that Americans are getting more and more rude. We're more plugged in that ever, but that's making us tune out to actual human interaction.

I've done more exams in the last year to people who won't even shut off their iPods DURING the exam ! It's one thing to listen in the waiting room. But, have the decency to turn off the damn thing while I'm trying to do.my.job ! These are same people that will come back and complain that "there's something not quite right about my glasses". Well, maybe if you'd taken your earbuds out for even two seconds I could have done a better job. Some people will even leave them in after I ask them to take them out. They look at me like *I'M* rude for asking them to pay attention. You are PAYING me to do this right ? you'd think you'd want it done correctly.

The other major violation: Cell phones. TURN THEM OFF IN MY EXAM ROOM!! For god sakes when did this become acceptable. I'm completely flabergasted at how many people not only still have their phones ON in my exam room.. but ANSWER the phone! Now, about a third of people will have theirs ring and be very apologetic and turn them off. God created voicemail for a reason people. Getting a call from your mom is not more important than your exam at that exact minute. Now, if your mom is DYING and you let me know ahead of time that your call is an emergency... that's different. But, most calls are "yeah.. hey... well... no, i'm at the doctor... no.. can I call you back I'm in the exam room right now... yes, right now". Yeah, that call was worth me sitting there and waiting for. That could have gone to voice mail.

I just want to know when this officially became acceptable. i have signs ALL OVER my office about turning off your phone so the doctor can give you the best exam/attention possible. People flat out ignore it like it doesn't apply to them.

And no, it's not just the younger generation. Business people are just as bad. You can unplug yourself from the office for TEN MINUTES. You are NOT that important.. trust me on this one.

I guess part of this was set off by Whizgidget's Blog about the library and how it's become a nanny. Plug your kid into the DVD player and feel free to ignore them. Don't get me started on that one either. Especially dont get me started on the new "baby TV" they're launching on cable. *sigh*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the phone rings in your exam room and they answer just do what I do. Get up and leave. Get a coffee. Go for a walk. Come back later. When you get around to it. If its when you're busy just don't stop talking. Its fun to do the exam while their trying to talk on the phone.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@#$@# if cellys don't piss me off. just because the phone is with you doesn't mean you're in a soundproof booth, asshats! and no, it has nothing to do with age or class...one of the (otherwise) classiest women i know **habitually** answers the phone while we're out at some restaurant. even when it's a very nice one. yes, i have one too, yes, it goes beyond convenience at this point and i can't live with out it, but for the love of FSM please notice you are sharing the air with everyone else in the vicinity!!

wow, you totally inspired a mad rant there. thanks!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I rarely answer my cel phone for anything if I'm at work at all. I don't ever answer in the car unless I'm on the road to Houston and I have the hands free set up.

My boss answers calls in the middle of lectures and meetings. It drives me batty.

And as for the baby channels - there's now a Baby channel on DirecTV (that I had to blot out), a pay baby-tv channel, and my tivo is trying to get me to get into some Tivo-Kids crap. Yeesh, does anyone pay attention to their kids anymore
(sorry about the tangent)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home