Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Survivor : The Racial Season

In case you've been living under a rock.. I'll fill ya in. This season of Survivor features twenty people split into four tribes. The catch --- the tribes are split up by race. (white, black, asian , and hispanic) It's causing quite the hub-bub here on the local news and nationally too. The local paper has had many editorials about it.

I think this is going to be an interesting experiment on the part of CBS. People are already calling for a boycott. And, you know, boycotts are GREAT for ratings ! But, if you stop and think about it.. as much as America is supposed to be the "melting pot".. it's really not. It happens every place you go. Look at any high school lunch room. The black kids sit with the black kids.. the whites with the whites.. and the hispanics with the hispanics etc. I'm NOT saying it's right... don't get me wrong. i'm just saying that's the way it is. People are friends with people like themselves. People with a certain level of education tend to make friends with other with the same level of education. They just have more in common. Same goes for social class (which, I guess goes hand in hand with education as well)

I have to hand it to CBS for coming up with something new to get people to watch a struggling Survivor. (the ratings have been sliding every year I do believe) Now, everyone I know is talking about it. "Did you hear what they're doing on Survivor??" People will watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home