Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Today sucked

Today was drama filled at work:

All was running so swimmingly. The patients were getting in and out. Everybody was happy. Life was good. Then, we got to our contact lens I&R. (an I&R stands for insertion and removal... someone who's enver worn contact lenses before) Everything went great for the exam part, the patient headed back to the contact lens room with a tech, the tech got the lenses in the patient's eye, then went back to check the acuities with the lenses. I was heading back to get a chart for a patient on the phone when I hear ... in a very calm, but LOUD voice... "DR H GET IN HERE *NOW*". Now, if you know my tech who was working today... he's very stoic. Nice, but not super emotional. The fact that he used this tone of voice made me literally RUN into the exam room. I walk in to our patient slumped in the exam chair seizing. I asked the tech how it all started. Apparently, the patient was giving the typical vasovagal responses: clammy, dizzy, nauseated, thirsty, etc. Tech goes to get patient water and comes back to patient seizing.

I'm not quite sure what to do other than to try to get the patient to not hit their head on the equipment stand. It lasts about a minute... not a huge thrashing seizure, but definitely clenched muscles, spasms, and loss of bladder control.

My tech calls 911. Mall security is notified by the Lenscrafters general manager. The patient regains consciousness about 1.5 minutes in. (yes, i was timing for EMS) The patient regains consciousness, I tell the patient what happened, etc. I think the patient was more embarassed than anything. I mean, how many people go to the eye doctor and have a seizure... complete with loss of bladder control, from putting contact lenses in. now, I've had PLENTY of people pass out. But never seize. That is something I've never seen in syncope.

EMS shows up THIRTY MINUTES later. The patient is antsy... ready to bolt. Doesn't want to wait for EMS. I have to explain that since there was a loss of consciousness I have to call them in to evaluate. Have to. Sorry, you can come back later this afternoon to try contacts again if you want to... but it's totally up to you.

And on EMS taking thirty minutes.. remind me to never have an MI at the mall.

So, we get through that. But, the drama keeps coming. One of my other techs calls in. Her mom is very ill with cancer. She can't come in tomorrow. Totally fine, be with your mom, she needs you... we totally understand and would think you were cracked if you still came to work. Go be with her... take all the time you need.

Now we're in warp drive. My other two techs have class tomorrow night and can't work. Dr W's other office has everyone working or in class. Brandon stores have no free techs. Carrolwood has no free techs. AHHHHH ! i don't wanna work alone. I could do it, but it would suck.

Finally, the general manager calls her old office! YAY! She scores me a tech who can fill in tomorrow from 10-7. I'm definitely buying him lunch tomorrow. He's saving my ass.

After all this drama... I need a beer. Alas, I don't have any.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, internet, life, catching up! Thanks for not writing too much in my absence. ;) Wow, crazy day at work! Hope you scored SOME kind of alcohol. ;)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, hopefully a)you managed to go get yourself some ETOH and b)things have calmed down since then.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home