Thursday, May 25, 2006

Surfing Safari

It's the day after the wedding... and I'm getting up at some un-godly hour to go surfing. It's just so... wrong. the getting up early I mean. I was actually really excited to go surfing!

We meet up in the hotel lobby with G's best friend Rachel and her boyfriend, steve. We all pile in our car and drive the 45 minutes north to Oahu's North Shore. The surf had actually been really low all week, but that's okay for us since we're learning.

We find the surf shop, which is basically a little hole in the wall on the second floor of a little forrested strip mall. We meet the instructor. His name is Edison, he surfs big waves and he's from Brazil. A very nice guy, kinda quiet. His wife/girlfriend was there. She showed us pictures of the 8 german shephard puppies she had at home. SO CUTE!

We end up at an area of the North Shore called Chun's Reef. The surf wasn't very high, but it was enough to learn on. After a quick 5 minute on the beach lesson, which didn't even include how to steer... we're paddling out.

OMG is paddling out hard! For one thing, the board is 11' long! For another, I have weak girly arms. Thirdly, the surf was suuuuper super choppy.

But, after two or three tries I get up! I'm UP! I'm on a wave. I kick ass! This is so much FUN! G's friend Rachel tries to paddle out and gives up. She went back to the beach and never managed to get back in the water. Her boyfriend tried to get up two or three times and then gave up. G had that look of determination on his face that said "I'm getting up before my wife!".

And... he did. But, my very next ride I stood up too.

We lasted about two hours in the water. I had a fabulous time! Then I started to feel bad that G's friends were on the beach so long, but... we paid for a three hour lesson for crissake. I'm getting my money's worth!! Although, the instructor told us later that no one can last the full three hours the first time. He was impressed we made it to two. He commented that G and I must be in pretty good shape. That, and even exhausted I was NOT conceeding to G. I was going to get up more time than him, darn it !! We're competitive that way. It's healthy though... really.

Back at the surf shop we pack up the boards and head down the strip center to a mexican restaurant. Nothing sounded better to me at that point, being tired, sandy, and hot than a beer and some fish tacos. DAMN they were tasty!

I was definitely looking forward to my second surf lesson on maui. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this lesson. None of the ones Rachel took from the beach came out. She was too far away. oh well. I did stand up on a north shore wave.. I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home