Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My Wedding Day

I was never one of those girls who sat around and dreamed about her wedding day. I DEFINITELY didn't want to be one of those... "I'm going to be a pretty pretty princess" girls. Oh lord.

I wanted small, beach, immediate family and close CLOSE friends only! And, that's exactly what I got. I picked Hawaii partially because of the financial constraints to get there. My family is HUGE (I have 11 sets of aunts and uncles and don't even ask me to count how many cousins I have). I knew if I went to Hawaii and got married on the beach, even if I invited them, most of them would not be able to attend. I didn't do it to be mean.... but I REALLY wanted a small wedding. I also didnt want my wedding to be compared to all my cousin's lavish 40k weddings. I didn't want one of those.. it's not me.

I found my photographer on the internet. His photographs were STUNNING! I also loved his sense of humor. So, I emailed him. He started asking me what I wanted in a wedding... and he helped me organize it. He was an Oahu local who knew everything about the wedding industry and ran five wedding businesses. He did all of it: Minister, flowers, and helped us pick a beach. So, I had to pay no resort or location access fees. I did the whole wedding for less than $800. And, it turned out beautiful.




After Pearl Harbor, G and I arrived back at our hotel to get ready for the wedding. We were supposed to meet people in the lobby at 5pm. It was only 3pm. I only needed an hour to get ready.

G left me alone about 430. I was putting on makeup, in my hotel robe, and about to start blowing out my hair. I had G send up my mom to help me get on my dress. How embarassing would it be if I couldn't get my dress zipped up! Besides, every girl needs her mommy on her wedding day.

The planner met us in the lobby at 5. G sent him up to my room to help me with my Haku lei. (the ring of flowers I have in my hair) Then, Steve (the planner) ran back downstairs to get the guests out to the beach. The beach/cove we picked was directly behind our resort. Which is why we decided to stay there in the first place. Then, steve came back to get myself and my parents. I had to have my dad walk me in of course!

When we arrived on the beach Steve had leis for all my guests. In Hawaii tradition the bride and groom pass them out. I already had my flowers.. and I gave G his maile lei. (the ring of leaves around his neck) He looked so great !



Our Hawaiian minister was fabulous. He had the best smile and was so happy and friendly. Everyone in Hawaii was, but him especially. You could tell he loved his job. Half of our blessing were in Hawaiian, which I loved, and he also translated it into English for us. (thank goodness) The ceremony was short and sweet and I was fighting back tears the whole time.



G and I had my brother and his wife be our witnesses on our marriage license. My sister in law was shocked about that one!



Then, the pictures. Oh lord.. there was SO MANY pictures. Every time I turned around Steve or my father had a camera in my face. Sometimes it was dueling pictures. I never knew where to look. Finally, Steve took us down the beach alone to take portrait shots. I'm still waiting for the final developed pictures. So, I'll post the ones I do have that my brother took with my camera.

Once I have the professional shots I'll post them as a slideshow.

The wedding was everything I wanted it to be. It was gorgeous. My immediate family and G's immediate family all got to be there. Unfortunately, my best friend didn't make it, she was missed. But my wedding was something I'll never ever forget.

Walking back up to the hotel.. G and I were finally alone. The family went to get ready for dinner. G and I had a few minutes alone on the beach. Steve left us alone and packed up. We walked back to the resort hand in hand. Every person we passed smiled and said congratulations. I guess we kinda stuck out. But, for the first time I really didn't mind being the center of attention. Everybody smilies at you when you're in a wedding dress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home