Sunday, October 09, 2005

Liz Phair

Well, Liz came to St. Pete last night. I had never been to this venue before and it was only my second time to see Liz in concert. The first time I saw her was her tour for her third albumn while I was living in San Diego. I had no idea who she was and my friend from work, Rob, dragged me to see her at San Diego State. I'm SO glad he did!!

I met up with a friend at the venue (Jannus Landing), if you could call it that. The place was a small courtyard in downtown St. Pete with three building surrounding it. It could "maybe" hold 2,000 people. There were probably only a few hundred there. It didn't even sell out.

Since it was an open courtyard it was hot as hell. yes, it was dark and probably only in the 80s, but it had just rained and there was no breeze. The humidity was insufferable and even Liz commented on it. I'm sure it was even hotter under the lights on stage.

I set up camp about 10 feet from the stage on stage left. Liz took requests and even switched up her play list. Since it was a small venue it was a very intimate situation and made it that much more fun to watch her joke around with us and the band. she seemed like she's be a great person to talk to and get a beer with. :)

She played an hour and a half in all and I had a GREAT time. She played just the right mix of old and new songs. The audience sang along to all the older stuff.. since her new albumn just dropped Tuesday no one knew the new stuff yet. I did get the new CD at the concert. I figured if I bought it there she might actually see more of the money than if I bought it from Target or Amazon. So, there ya go.

For those that care, Liz was casual in a glittery tank top, cut off jeans, and flip flops. She got so hot at one point she asked the audience for pony tail holders to put up her hair.. then started her next song.. during the song she got pelted (sometimes in the face) with about 15 ponytail holders. she was laughing by the end of it.

I had a great time and would definitely go back and see her again!

And, in the best news of the day.. Texas BEAT OU !!! I had to watch the first half at a sports bar since ABC Regional decided NOT to show our game!! losers. So, I came home at half time to watch the game and then the cut off in the third quarter to show Michigan and Minnesota !! DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE ABOUT MICHIGAN AND MINNESOTA !!???? I think not. I was very mad at ABC yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home