Saturday, May 24, 2008

Jamaica Part Deux


So, I'm finally having the time to sit down and blog about our Canopy Tour in Jamaica. We ended up taking the tour on Thursday morning and it lasted the good part of the day.

The tour bus picked us up at the resort bright and early (8:20 -- early for vacation) to head into the jungle. It was a 1.5 hour drive back toward Montego Bay and then a turn in to the center of the island to get to the jungle areas.

Upon arriving, we were introduced to our tour guides Michael and English. They helped us don our harnesses and get helmets.


Our tour group then signed the waiver.. which included lovely phrases such as "I can stand on a platform 60 feet in the air without vomiting and/or fainting". I wasn't quite sure how to answer that one.

Everyone signed their lives away, applied bug spray, and then tromped into the jungle.

The guides are absolutely hilarious. They had us laughing the entire time. Our guide, Michael, seemed to think he was famous because apparently, we was the guide for Hugh Hefner's girlfriends when the "Girls Next Door" came to Jamaica. He seemed very hurt when G and I told him we didn't watch the show and had never seen him.

My first zip line experience was no where near as scary as I thought it would be. I'm not a huge fan of heights, but in this case there were so many trees and vines around me that it never really occurred to me how high up I was. Had it just been a platform alone 60 ft in the air I would have been much more freaked out.

After each zip, a guide would tell you to bring your legs up so you don't smash them and help stop you.

Occasionally, if you didn't have enough speed the harness holding you would stop near the end and you'd have to pull yourself up to the platform. You could clearly tell, at that point, which of the guys in our group had former military backgrounds. They were little monkeys getting back up those lines.

G was always braver than I was. He'd take running jumps off those platforms. I was proud of myself to just step off the edge. That was a huge feat for me in and of itself.


We had a fabulous time and recommended the trip to everyone back at the resort. We pulled back into the resort at 3:30, just in time to change and make it to my 4pm tennis lesson! Vacation's rough isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home