Friday, July 14, 2006

On-On !

Last night I finally got out of the house. A few friends over the past few years have told me about a group called Hash House Harriers. It's a group of runners mainly, or as they like to say it " A drinking group with a running problem". I looked them up on the internet, only to find they have groups all over the WORLD. They started in Kuala Lumpur of all places. And, there are two Hash groups here in Tampa. Tampa Bay H3 and Jolly Roger H3.

Here's how hashing works. (the short version) The group meets at a certain pre-designated spot. One person is pre-arranged to be the "hare". The hare is the lead runner. (Think "most dangerous game" minus the guns) The hare starts running and ten minutes later the pack follows chase. The hare is responsible for setting a trail, marked in flour usually, for the rest of the pack to follow. There are certain symbols used to mark the locations, lead you off trail, decide which direction he/she went, and to let you know when you're near the end..or more importantly... near the beer.




Now, last night was my first night with the Jolly Roger H3. Many virgin remarks were made and it seemed I fit right in. We start out on trail.... and according to my fellow runners this was the looongest trail they had seen in FOREVER. It seems that the hare last night was leaving the area for grad school and wanted it to be a memorable farewell. The first water/beer stop wasn't until about mile FOUR. Good lord, they're trying to kill me !! After many checks,yelling when you find trail, dogs, neighborhood kids, false trails, and tribulations... we finally found "true trail" (ON ON) and headed to the end (ON IN).

After everyone (walkers included) ends up at the finish, the group circles up to discuss the trail, the hare, who ran too fast, who ran too slow, etc. All punishments and rewards are doled out in beer. I became the sacrifical virgin and had to chug half a beer (the DOWN DOWN). I hadn't done that since college. But, even if you don't drink the group won't make you. Water and gatorade is equally chuggable. But, after running about six miles that beer tasted DAMN good.

I met quite a few great people... we headed over to Rick's after the hash to drink and be merry. In my case I was STARVING and needed food. (It's was 10pm afterall) The post hash meet up is called ON-AFTER.

I had a blast !! Thanks,Pete, for pushing me to go. I'll definitely be back next week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

HHH sounds right up your alley! Erik did a hash in Singapore and another one in Thailand when he was out on ship. They have a big club here, but he never did one in Okinawa. Their big run in one where everyone runs in a red dress. :) It sounds like fun, if I wasn't the world's WORST runner.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome. =^D

*thumbup*

-Pete

12:58 AM  
Blogger CWH said...

Well, you don't have to be a big time runner. Our group had many FAST runners.. of which I'm not. Most of us were of the "we'll get there eventually" variety of runner. You'd fit right in, jess .. trust me ! Although, no beer for the pregnant lady!! :D

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home