Saturday, April 16, 2005

Donating Blood

This will be my public service annoucement for the week:

GO DONATE BLOOD !!!

I know, many people are scared to donate, but there really is no reason to be. yes, it's a fairly large needle, which I admit I myself am not a big fan of. But, there's an easy way to combat this. TELL THEM! Tell the center you're apprehensive and they'll help you out. They always cover my arm so I can't see the needle and they don't tell me when they're going to stick me. I turn my head so I can't see and they just do it. It's much easier on both of us this way.

There's a terrible shortage of blood in this country. I remember after 9/11 and the Florida hurricanes everyone rushed right out to donate. WHY can't people do this ALL the time !!?? Does it really take a national catastrophe for people to get off their asses and roll up their sleeves ?

And, don't give me the "it takes so loooong" schpeal. I left my house at 3pm and was back in my house by 4. That includes drive time and time for juice and cookies. The actual blood donation took 5-10 minutes with maybe a 10 minute interview pre-donation.

So, if you're reading this and haven't donated in the last two months. PLEASE go to your favorite search engine, find out where your local donor center is.. and GO THERE !! Your blood is desperately needed. especially if you're type O (like me) :)

Thus endith the PSA !!

2 Comments:

Blogger Megalofyia said...

Yeah.. tell them not to be so freaking picky.. I'd gladly donate regularly if they'd realize I have good blood for them.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

They won't take my blood, because I'm a loser with a "malarial risk"... which is stupid, methinks, since just across the little thread of water in the country I'm visiting, the other state is *not* a MR.. what? Mosquitos are afraid of water?

You'd've loved the screaming hissy fit I had with Red Cross "BUT I DIDN'T even GET a BUG BITE! I DON'T HAVE MALARIA!"

And since I'm going *again* at the very END of my 12 month "ban" it's another 12 months of no blood.

And my blood is super high iron, and super high platlets. *sigh* You know, useful. They lurved me at the cancer place.

I love donating every 10 weeks... er.. loved. *sigh*

Stupid effing requirements, like they can't test... or give my blood to someone that might die and might just sign off saying "well, um, I need blood and I think I just might risk that 'possible malaria from that super healthy girl with no symptoms with lots of iron and lots of platelets.'" (rant off)

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home