Monday, March 28, 2005

It's Official

I'm certified (or, certifiable as the case may be). Either way, yesterday I braved the cold weather to get in my last dive in Open Water Certification. When I woke up sunday it was hovering around 46 degrees. NOT my favorite way to start the morning (especially knowing I soon have to get into water). Coffee in hand I drive to Huntsville to again brave the Blue Lagoon. We were much quicker the second day donning our gear since we knew the locale. Although, we did have a minor set-back when our dive instructor realized he left his regulator on top of his lawn mower in the garage. DOH! So, thank goodness we had our divemaster there or I would not be a happy certified camper today.

On our last certification dive Ed took us down to the dive platform with the divemaster's gear. I flooded my mask in 60 degree water and all was right with the world. For the record, I REALLY hate flooding my mask. Mainly, because in order to do it, I have to close my eyes due to my contact lenses. So, it's dark, Im cold, I can't see, and my mask is full of water. yeah, not so fun. But, I can do it proficiently now. (and that's what really matters)

For our final dive of the day (mainly just to kill the rest of our air tanks) the divemaster (andy) took us out on a navigation dive. Fortuantely, for those who know my directional skills, I was not the one navigating. The divemaster took us around the lake to hit all the sunken boats and other platforms at the blue lagoon. so, after one dive I've seen the whole lake. Ohhhhhh. Don't get too excited, it's really not that big.

After a brief stint in the freezing weather to sign off on certification cards.... I said bye bye to my awesome instructor and headed back to my warm house. Once showered, I took a blissfully warm nap on my bed curled up with a nice warm doggie. I love my doggie.

I did actually manage to get some studying done for Part 3 yesterday. I was actually proud of myself. I need to crack down this week for sure. Boards are two weeks from today. Even though this is the board that like 96 percent of students pass... I still need to study. It's good practice for Florida Boards.

Today's patients went really well. Both of them were progress visits. One in peds and one in glaucoma. The other two patients decided not to grace me with their presence today. I think they forgot this was the first Monday after Easter when they scheduled their appointments. Oh well more relaxing time for me. My last patient today I shared with Amanda. He was the former clinic director for UHCO a REALLY nice guy.We had a really nice chat with him while we did his workup. It's hard asking this really prestigious former faculty member about his prostate treatment, but hey, that's part of my job, eh? Isn't it glamourous!? I really do love my job though.. I get to meet such interesting people every day.

Only 15 more days in clinic !!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home