Friday, July 21, 2006

Working Late and Having Fun !

Wednesday is normally my late day to work, but this week it was extra long. My last patient (630) was not correctable better than 20/30 when they had been 20/20 last year by the old records from the last exam with another office. Upon dilation, the nerves were elevated and pale in both eyes. The patient was also reporting headaches almost every day. yeah, this isn't generally a good thing. It didn't look like papilledema because the margins of the nerve were distinct. But, optic nerve drusen doesn't give you palor. Hmmmmmm. When in doubt, get a second opinion. So, I scheduled the patient to see a local OMD. The patient called back today (two days later) and said the headaches were worse and they feel like their vision's fluctuating. So, I called the OMD and got the patient in this afternoon. I had to rush out a referral letter so the doc seeing the patient today knows what's going on. Thank goodness for fax machines, eh ? Hopefully they'll get back to me soon so I can figure out what's going on. The patient sounded rather paniced on the phone today. poor thing. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Then, after working with that patient until 715, I had a patient walk in at 7pm with scratchy irritated eyes. And, the patient was from out of town on business. They saw me running around the office so they knew I was still at work. Can't really turn away a patient with red eyes when they know you're here, eh ? So, I left work at 815pm.

It's a long day for me... but nothing compared to my med school and resident friends who are working 14 hour days. Y'all have way more balls than I do. Hang in there guys !!

Last night was my second night with the Jolly Roger H3. The group is so much fun. I met another girl who's been out of town last week when I was there. But, she just moved to Tampa six weeks ago with her fiance. We graduated from college the same year and seem to have a lot of fun together. We'll see. I'm planning on heading to a pool party Saturday night after work with the hash. They're running Saturday at 5pm, but I won't be out of work yet. I do want to support the cause though, since Saturdays run is to support the troops. We're brining disposable cameras, puzzle books, and munchies. The family hosting the party has a sun in the Marines. And, half the hash is ex-military.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wacky eye things that sound bad but turn out to be "nothing serious"...

we had a monkey a while back that had suddenly gone completely blind. no injury/head trauma, but he did have a head implant (that was quite well healed and was nearly a year old) so we were really worried about meningitis. cultures negative, no fever, otherwise ok, but couldn't see ya coming, and no pupillary light response. very very f'ing weird. and monkeys can't exactly have a conversation with you about progression of symptoms...

we had a pediatric ophthalmologist come in for a consult, and he diagnosed "optic neuritis": idiopathic & non-treatable, but sometimes spontaneously resolves. sure enough, 3 months later, eyes working again.

so, if sudden total blindness can end up being "nothing serious", then maybe your patient will be all good.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home