Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The planning begins.... with minimal effort on my part

Before I get to explaining how the wedding details are falling into my lap with minimal effort on my part... I'll explain to enquiring minds how exactly the proposal went down. Since, to some, the proposal is just as important as the ring itself.

We woke up Sunday morning and had hot cinnamon rolls and orange juice before we got to the present opening. we're not 10 anymore, so getting up at 7am to open presents like we used to just didn't seem so appealing anymore. After we'd opened all the presents.. and I mean all.. there were NO presents left under the tree I was slightly disheartened since there was no "cool" gift there from G. Unless, you consider a crock pot and a sweater "cool". Meh. G then exclaimed that he had oooone more present for me... and reached UNDER the tree skirt to pull out a small shiny wooden box. He told me to open the box and there, inside, was my pretty sparkly ring! I handed him the box and asked him to put the ring on me. After a brief discussion, since he was convinced it was supposed to go on my right hand...I gave him my left hand and he put the ring on my finger. There was no one-kneed proposal since we were both already sitting on the floor. He then looked at me and asked what my answer was. I told him I hadn't heard a question !! He smirked and asked me if I wanted to get married and I told him of course I did. Yay!

I waited a few hours before calling my parents.. I wanted to make sure we had some time together to just enjoy the moment, drink some coffee, relax, and play with presents before all the phone calls started. My mother had gotten me a beauutiful sapphire and diamond circle in a circle necklace. Which, after I thought about it for awhile I realized mom KNEW !! she had to have known ahead of time, because the new necklace matched my ring perfectly! So, I asked G how this occured since my mother is not particularly well known for keeping secrets well. He told me that five weeks ago when he took my computer up to my parents house to have my father fix my hard drive... he'd gone to dinner with my parents and asked my father's permission to marry me. Awwwww! Which, is something I never thought he'd do especially since he'd run the risk of it getting back to me. But, they both knew for five weeks and didn't tell. Even my brother didn't know when I called him. so, she didn't even spill to my brother. I ended up being so proud of my mother!

G and I had always talked about getting married in Hawaii. Very small, private, just us and immediate family. We told this to my mother and I guess she mentioned that when she was calling relatives. Well, apparently relatives came out of the wood work to say that they ALL wanted to go! Crap! Maybe they all felt guilty since no one went to my brother's wedding.. or maybe, since I'm the one who picked Hawaii they want to go! Since I was working Monday I didn't really get into any scouting out of sites... especially since it had only been one day since my engagement and i didnt want to get all "psycho bride" on G.

While I'm at work apparently my mother and my aunt (who lives in hawaii) were emailing back and forth all day. I know, because they cc'd me on all of the emails (there were at least ten of them when I got home from work). My aunt sent emails saying she knew some ministers and kahunas who could do a ceremony. She also knew a caterer, florists, hula dancers, etc. You name it, my aunt knows it... By the end of the emails I find out she's discussed with my mother that G and I could use her house's lanai on the third tee on Mauna Kea golf course for a wedding and/or reception. If you know my aunt.. this is HUGE.. she's had this house almost eight years and neither I (nor my parents) have ever been invited. I have a feeling she offered because we never asked. I have to discuss with G, but it sounds too perfect to pass up.. according to the golf resorts website people come from all over the world to get married on the third tee. And we'd get to have it for free on any day we want (as long as my aunt's in town)It's almost too easy. All the wedding plans are falling into place without me having to do anything. I do get to make decisions, all of them, but it's definitely nice to have someone on the inside that knows the island and can scout on things for me. I also know my aunt has immaculate taste!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, FIVE weeks! I'm impressed. I'm even more impressed about him asking permission from your family. WOW! That is amazingly cool and even more amazingly rare.

Sounds like you've hit the jackpot with wedding planning too. Sweet! But when, When, WHEN??? ;)

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home